Thursday, March 22, 2018

Working Chronically...



Not too long ago, I posted on twitter that Lupus patients are all super heroes. I said that because we are able to do things that “normal” healthy people do all while fighting a disease that is trying to keep us down.  One of those things are… working!!

There is a large percentage of people with chronic illness that is unable to work. My heart goes to those people because believe it or not, there is nothing a chronically ill person wants more than to be able to take care of themselves. Make their own money, have a sense of independence. Since being diagnosed, I have had my fair share of days being off work due to my illness. I’ve had to take breaks in between and because of that I sometimes feel like I could’ve been further along than I currently am. Don’t get me wrong, I am blessed to be able to hold down a full-time job (as of now), but majority of my lupus family isn’t so lucky.  What MOST people may mistake for lazy, really have no clue what a chronically ill person is going through.

Chronically ill workers may have problems in meeting job demands, they may experience physical, cognitive or sensory limitations, have fatigue or pain complaints or other disease symptoms. Psychological distress, depressive feelings, feelings of shame or guilt, lack of coping or communicative skills, and non-supportive colleagues and supervisors may add to work-related problems. It’s hard!!! But, I’m doing it. I feel a sense of pride when I actually make it through a full 8 hour work day, 40 hour week schedule without having to call in or crashing at the end of the week.

Here's a few tips that I use to make it through the work week:

  1. Decorate your workspace with positive affirmations and pictures of people and things that motivate you.
  2. Make your feelings aware to your co-workers & manager. You may have to sit with them and explain exactly what lupus is. Print out literature to share with your team about your disease if you need to.
  3. Prioritize sleep. Make it number one. I usually try to give myself 7 hours or more of sleep. (That sometimes don’t happen, but hey.. I try!!)
  4. Keep energizing snacks at your desk.
  5. After you clock out, BE FINISHED!!! Leave work at work and when you’re off take that time to rejuvenate your mind and body.
  6. Know when to step away and take a break. Go to the bathroom, step outside for a second.
  7. Don’t be afraid to ask for accommodations. Most companies (and a lot by law) are willing to help you succeed in your position and if that means you need a stool for your swelling feet, back support for your lower back, a certain keyboard for your computer because you have joint issues… then ASK!!!!!

Now of course, everyone’s situation Is different. Some of us work in environments that aren’t so accommodating and work with people who are just flat out cruel. For those of you that do work in situations like that, I strongly encourage you to find another job. Work somewhere where you are appreciated and won’t have to feel guilty for having a chronic illness that YOU didn’t ask for any ways. Because let’s be honest, if something was to happen to you today, your company would go about their day and have your position posted on the HR board the following day. 

You’re the important factor here… put yourself first!

*For my chronically ill people who are unable to work… Don’t feel any less of a person because of a disease that has disabled you. During my times when I was unemployed I found other things that made me happy to confiscate for the loss of my job (whether it was reading, volunteering somewhere, advocating lupus online, etc.) I strongly encourage you all to do the same and to remain positive because you’re still the important factor here, and I’m rooting for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment